Case Study: Amazon
Taleo Recruitment Portal
Amazon needs to have a scalable recruitment and hiring engine keep up with the increasing demand. They chose to implement Taleo recruitment portal and integrate with their PeopleSoft HR systems to enable a high performance / high volume recruiting engine. At peak, the tool is designed to hire 500 to 1000 seasonal employees per day per fulfillment center.
Taleo is recruitment application identified to implement and manage seasonal workers on boarding.
- Built integration between Taleo and PeopleSoft with greater possible automation to minimize on boarding team.
- Each identified workers needs to sign contract as part of on boarding process and needs to have those all ready on first day of orientation (hire date) – Implemented integration with digital document system (OnBase)
- Built new hiring process which brings all PeopleSoft Person and Job related functionalities, data collection etc. into simplified screens for fast hire.
- Built automation to derive employee paygroup, frequency, badging etc.
- Integration Broker integration between Taleo and PeopleSoft to manage candidate flow into PeopleSoft and successful hired employee data, hire failure candidate data, no show candidate data back to Taleo.
- Brought down overall hiring and on-boarding timelines from days to 30 mins.
- End to end automated process for hiring and on-boarding.
- Automation jobs run every 30 mins exchanging candidate data, employee data, employee badging data, employee asset allocation data, and other account creation processes.
- One click hire button reduces data entry time on the day of on-boarding the employees.
HR Systems Upgrade
Amazon.com wanted to upgrade their primary HR systems to keep up with the growing demands of their workforce. The upgraded system must also be Anvil (Amazons internal information security certification tool) certified for data security.
Prepared project charter to present business case for upgrade and got buy off from stakeholders to execute upgrade project.
- Identified and analyzed 3000+ undocumented customizations.
- Rolled up all related small projects into bigger size projects with unique functionalities and formed 110 master projects.
- Performed fit gap analysis of the identified 110 master projects and identified keep/drop objects.
- Leveraged PeopleSoft Test Framework to test security retrofits.
- Performed end to end retrofits, development, QA, SIT & supported UAT.
- Planned and executed final cutover with minimal downtime.
- Built documentation of all customizations by master project for any future use.
- Defined a development process to be used for all future enhancements.
- Go-live was done by renaming the production database. Setup Oracle replication for production database. On the day of cut over, brought down the primary database, made it as read only so that downstream applications can access PeopleSoft data while upgrade is in progress. Secondary database is renamed to a temporary name, performed upgrade on temp database, after upgrade is complete, rename the team instance to upgraded PROD instance. Updated TNS entries to point all integrations to newly upgraded database and shut down old release PROD in read only mode for any future reference.
- Successful Go Live & Support transition.